Saturday, June 21, 2008

Character is Everything

I am proud of my boys for lots of things, but nothing yesterday made me more proud than this small happening that confirmed they are catching onto some of the character training we are trying to instill in their hearts. I was busy outside (conducting important garage sale transactions) and had set the boys up to watch a TV show. I came back inside later to check on them and before I walked into the living room I started saying they could watch another show if they wanted. I was surprised to see that the TV was turned off especially since my boys seem glued to it at every opportunity. Elijah immediately piped up and said there was a bad show that had come on where the characters use naughty words...you know, words like stupid, idiot, potty talk, etc...and they knew they weren't allowed to watch it, so they turned the TV off. No one had come running to tell me and ask to have it changed, no one sat there and just watched it...they did the right thing WHEN NO ONE WAS WATCHING!!!!! That is the clincher there. We tell the boys that character is doing the right thing even when no one sees. A small victory in this challenging battle for our children's hearts and minds.

"Thoughts become words.
Words become actions.
Actions become habits.
Habits become character.
Character is everything."

No comments: