Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Peachy Keen

I've decided one of my favorite places to visit in my area is Green Acre Farm in Greece. We've picked fruit there for the past two years and it has been fabulous! Last week we ventured off to pick more blueberries and the first batch of ripe peaches. Yummy! The picking was easy and the fruit is delicious! We ended up coming home with about 30 lbs of peaches and 4 quarts of blueberries. My plan was to have lots of peaches for fresh eating, some for jam and some for freezing for smoothies.

We've eaten these fresh peaches for almost every meal and snacks in between. Every time Elijah takes peach quarter off the plate he says, "I just LOVE peaches!" I remember when I was pregnant with Luke and all I wanted was a big, juicy peach but it was spring time and I never did feed that craving! I am making up for it big time now!

Here is my freezer jam...I made six of peach and six of raspberry peach. The Ball Company really has their act together and has made it so simple for customers to make their own jam. I purchased these plastic freezer jars and No Cook Freezer Jam Fruit Pectin. Basically you mush up your fruit, dump in the pectin, sugar and lemon juice and stir. That's it! For a first time jam maker, it was a breeze and I would highly recommend their product. In fact, the packaging says you can use frozen fruit once it's thawed to make jam year round. Love it! And my family loves the jam! As I am typing, I've been reminded (politely, too!) that I haven't cut up the peaches this morning yet...!

No comments: