Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It's A Secret!

Mike and I have had several years to kick around girl names and they've essentially stayed the same over time. We chose Sadie in part to honor my Grandpa Givens and his mother, Sarah "Sadie" Longenecker Givens. Grandpa (Norman Longenecker Givens) was the only grandpa I knew growing up as my dad's father passed away when I was 2 years old. We had thought of using Grandpa's name at some point, but just couldn't squeeze any of his names onto our list...sorry, grandpa! I have such fond and loving memories of my Grandpa and wish he were around today to meet his great granddaughter, Sadie Kathryn. I still miss him so much...he's been living in heaven crackin' jokes, I'm sure, since September 2005.



Sadie

Language/Cultural Origin: English

Inherent Meaning: Princess

Spiritual Connotation: Beautiful

"All glorious is the princess within her chamber, her gown is interwoven with gold."

Psalm 45:13


We chose Kathryn simply for the fact that we think it's a pretty name. Nothing deep here other than I wanted to spell it with a "K" because of my name.



Kathryn

Language/Cultural Origin: Greek

Inherent Meaning: Pure

Spiritual Connotation: Perceptive

"Call to me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know." Jeremiah 33:3



We told our boys the baby's name many months ago knowing that it would probably leak out at some point. Much to our surprise and delight, they kept her name a secret the WHOLE TIME!!! We're talking about little boys four and six years old!!! We are especially proud of them as they have proven themselves trustworthy in this matter...a fun, family secret. Not even the 4th grade girls who pestered them EVERY Sunday at church could break their resolve to keep this secret. Amazing! And you can bet they were super excited to go to church last Sunday and finally tell their friends all about Sadie Kathryn!


Isaac, on the other hand, had no idea what a secret was, but thankfully he doesn't speak very clearly yet. He said Sadie's name all the time, but most people thought he was saying "baby baby." If you spent any time with him, you'd clearly understand him saying "Baby Dadie!" When our Pastor and wife visited us in the hospital, I asked Isaac to tell Miss Libby the baby's name and he replied, "It's a secret!" Ha - the day that he can finally spill the beans, he decided to still keep it under wraps!

6 comments:

Mrs. Guthrie said...

*lol* Love it! What good, trust-worthy boys!! :)

Kelly said...

Aww... how cute! Sadie Kathryn is a very beautiful name, one she can be proud of when she's older. She is absolutely gorgeous, too. You must be so happy!

Jenn and Sandy said...

Congratulations! I love the name!

Jenn and Sandy said...

Congrats! She is beautiful and I love the name!

MommyB said...

She's beautiful!

Jen said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful. I have many memories of your grandfather as well from the days on the farm. You are so right about the crackin jokes. Congrats again. We look forward to seeing you soon.