Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First Day of School 2009-2010

We're getting back into the swing of things around here as the school season begins. I had images in my head of what all those "perfect" homeschool mamas were doing for their first day...special breakfast or other meals, cakes, little school type gifts, cute little morning wake-up songs, etc. And I wanted to be "that" mama this morning. But I realized earlier yesterday that I just needed to be me and survive the first day of school with two boys in elementary grades, one in preschool and a newborn. I still wanted to do something special to mark this new year so last night, after everyone was asleep, I decorated our white board. Given my perfectionist tendencies, the white board was the ideal choice for easy erasing and starting over which I did many times. And given my pack rat tendencies for anything slightly sentimental, the white board again was the ideal choice so I don't need to decide whether or not to save the "First Day" poster for eternity!





Everyone had their own banner...Sadie's says "TA" for teacher's assistant. Everyone has a special role in our homeschool! He, he!





Isaac is in Preschool!





Luke is in Kindergarten!



Elijah is in 2nd grade!


I am thankful for a successful day! Everyone was up, dressed, fed and ready to start by 8:30am - my lofty goal for the year! We had the majority of our lessons finished by noon as well as the boy's morning chores, playtime and lunch. Ahh...it felt REALLY good! It certainly has given me the boost I need to see that I can do this!!! I pray that we'll have more days like today than not. 1 day down...179 to go!

2 comments:

carole said...

Aw, so cute! You're doing a great job, Kiley!

Jenn said...

I LOVE IT! You are such a wonderful mommy and teacher! And you are so on top of commemorating these times. :) I am truly in awe of all that you have accomplished in a very short time - and so well, too! I hope this week has started well for you. :)