Monday, May 9, 2011

Window Frame Photos

This window frame came from my dear Grandpa Givens' home. He had put this together using calendar pictures and for many years I remember it hanging in the basement "family room." I purchase the window frame for $10 at his estate auction in 2007 always with the intention of putting family photos in it. I'm not sure what has taken me so long to do this project, but now that it is finished, I LOVE it! All I need now is my hubby's help to hang it in our livingroom.

how it looked in my grandpa's house...

I found 4 maps in a bag at the thrift store the other day for $0.99. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them but figured they could come in handy for decorating somewhere! Lightbulb moment later that night!!!

Disassembled everything and cleaned off all the cobwebs.

Carefully measure and cut my maps for "mattes"

Ready to go! Once I laid the pictures out, I realized that I needed another more neutral color to make the photos stand out from the blue & green mattes. Ah ha! Another lightbulb moment...there was a mostly white map in the bunch! Two mattes per photo!

All put together! Lovely family...my lovely family! Photos by Lora Ann taken in the fall.



















It just makes me smile to see this project finished. A momento from my grandpa, Norman Longenecker Givens. Don't you love his name?! A sweet reminder of present day and how blessed I truly am. Family...nothing's sweeter!!!

Linking up here...




Photobucket

5 comments:

Kelly said...

very cool, Kiley!

Olivia said...

Priceless; truly a heirloom!

Jennifer said...

You are truly one of the most talented and creative people I know. You've been on my mind for days now. I am due to call you and I really want to get together with you. Heh....wait...I haven't gotten to calling, are you able to come Thursday night for Usborne party?

Jennie said...

How beautiful and creative! I love the way it turned out, and the fact that it still is part "old" with the part "new" is even better. Grandpa's smiling down, that's for sure :)

Abigail said...

So clever! It turned out perfectly.

Seeing all the creative decor/fashion work you're doing is giving me the itch!