Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Vintage Sheet Lamp Shade

 
I've been on a project kick over the past few weeks!  It feels so satisfying to be creative and make our home cozy and fun!
 
I love the idea of taking common items and altering them to be unique to my home. 
 
I could have a boring, white lampshade (from Target) but why would I want to do that when I could have a colorful shade covered in a vintage sheet remnant?!
 
 
Gather a few crafting supplies and a lovely vintage sheet.
 
 
After trimming the fabric to the approximate size I needed, I used basting spray to help the fabric stick to the shade.
 
 
I rolled the shade along the fabric, pressing any bubbles out as I rolled.
 
 
Trim the fabric about 1/2 inch bigger than your shade.
 
 
Fold the cut edge under for a finished edge on the outside of the shade and hot glue it down (see the top of the picture where the fabric pattern doesn't match up).  Turn the trimmed edges to the inside of the shade using hot glue to keep it in place.  I hot glued ribbon inside the top and bottom edge of the shade to hide the unfinished fabric edge and make it look prettier. 
 
 
Secure the lamp shade back on your lamp and sit back and enjoy!
 
The funny thing...I really like the lamp base and the covered shade in the evening with the light on, but not so much during the daytime.  I'm thinking I might switch up some shades in my house and cover a different shade for this lamp base. 
 
Hey, it's only one more project to add to my always growing list...grin!

No comments: