Friday, May 30, 2008

Let's Sing of Grand of I - O - Way!

Tomorrow morning, it's "IOWA or BUST" for the Farwell family. We're headed out to visit Mike's grandma, Norma, who is getting married to a wonderful man, Leroy. We are looking forward to visiting with the rest of his extended family and friends as well. During Mike's college years, he lived with his grandma for two summers working with a construction crew building and remodeling houses. It's been almost four years since the last time we visited when Elijah was only 10 months old.

We've been busy this week getting ready, buying snacks, assembling various books - coloring, sticker, reading, and picture, catching up on laundry and packing, straitening the house, buying surprise toys to give out when boredom sets in and so on. Check out my homeschool site to see what lessons we're squeezing in during out trip! We're taking a break for the night since I was surprisingly on the ball with getting things ready. All we need to pack is our morning stuff and ourselves. I knew you'd all be worried - all 5 of my blog fans - wondering where I am for the next 10 days...so here's our itinerary for our grand trip...all 2,006 miles of it.

Saturday, May 31st: drive to LaGrange, IN - stay overnight with my aunt & uncle
Sunday, June 1st - Tuesday, June 3rd: drive to Moline, IL - visit John Deere Tractor Museum, Backwater Gamblers Water Ski Show, Niambi Zoo, Buffalo Bill Museum
Tuesday, June 3rd - Saturday, June 7th: drive to Avoca, IA, visit grandma & family, party at wedding
Sunday, June 8th: drive to LaGrange, IN - stay overnight with my aunt & uncle
Monday, June 9th: drive home

Pray for safety and sanity in travel! Pray that we use our time in the van to build and strengthen our family bonds! Pray that the boys don't break any of grandma's antiques!

I couldn't leave without giving you a taste of the state we're visiting. Here's to grand of I - O - Way! This is the "unofficial" state song called The Iowa Corn Song.

Let's sing of Grand old I-O-Way,
Yo-Ho, yo-ho, yo-ho
Our love is strong-er ev-'ry day,
Yo-Ho, yo-ho, yo-ho
So come a-long and join the throng,
Sev-'ral hun-dred thou-sand strong
As you come just sing this song,
Yo-Ho, yo-ho, yo-ho

We're from I-O-way, I-O-way.
State of all the land,
Joy on ev-'ry hand.
We're from I-O-way, I-O-way.
That's where the tall corn grows

Our land is full of ripe-ning corn,
Yo-Ho, yo-ho, yo-ho
We've watched it grow both night and morn,
Yo-Ho, yo-ho, yo-ho
But now we rest, we've stood the test.
All that's good we have the best
I-O-way has reached the crest,
Yo-Ho, yo-ho, yo-ho

We're from I-O-way, I-O-way.
State of all the land,
Joy on ev-'ry hand.
We're from I-O-way, I-O-way.
That's where the tall corn grows

We're from I-O-way, I-O-way.
State of all the land,
Joy on ev-'ry hand.
We're from I-O-way, I-O-way.
That's where the tall corn grows

No comments: