Monday, July 14, 2008

Bathroom Before

Our lovely blue bathroom has changed very little since the end of construction back in 1978. We haven't touched it other than to change out the toilet and clean a time or two. A previous owner chose the blue on blue and even did a number on the vanity...I've often wondered if the plastic drawer fronts were originally white.


What you can't see in this picture is the sink stopper missing from our sink. It must have rusted out because one day it wouldn't stay up anymore. Fortunately we've only dropped a few unimportant non-clogging things down the drain.

Yeah, our shower...I swore I would never bathe my children in it before we moved into this house. Numero Uno Priority. (Funny thing - two weeks after moving in, we found out we were expecting Elijah. Three children later and still the same nasty tub and surround). We are assuming that the tiles behind the surround were broken or grout was coming out therefore making it necessary to fix it. And this was an interesting fix. The surround was glued over top of the tiles and has never been adhered well since we bought the house.

The best part of this room, though, is the robin's egg blue tiles (see shower picture for best color). Don't get me wrong...I love blue, but this is too much and too permanent. The only thing I'll regret is that this bathroom reminds me of a car I owned while in college. It was a 1978 Mercury Zephyr painted robin's egg blue complete with 8 track player. Blue Gill. That's what we called her. She had "gills" on each side above the front tires and she was lovely. My parents bought her for $600 with only 60,000 original miles. Because of Blue Gill I learned how to drive stick shift. It was a sad day when we sold her and I gave my three bags of 8 tracks back to the Goodwill. Tom Jones, Karen Carpenter, Kenny Rodgers, Chicago...memories!

2 comments:

ryleeandnoahsmom said...

Hey Kiley-
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have to admit I've been "lurking" around yours for a few weeks now...I really love it! I've been meaning to email you and say "hi", but just never seem to get around to it. I hope we can get together soon for a picnic or get together. I know Matt and Jen were talking about doing (the other matt and Jen, LOL) some sort of gathering. In answer to your question, I'd love to be added to your "friends", and if I can get CArole to show me how, I'd love to do the same for you if its ok!!

Jen : )
PS- How exciting to be remodeling!! Keep the pictures coming!

Liana said...

AH, Blue Gill... I, too, remember her fondly & how we use to go to Sal's Boutique's looking for 8-tracks to feed "the Gill!"

lol